If you are experiencing financial difficulties and are considering bankruptcy or have already filed for bankruptcy, a bankruptcy and debt attorney in Lynn MA can help, but not every attorney will be right for you.
In this guide, learn how to research your bankruptcy & debt attorneys in Lynn MA, why you need to contact them and meet at their office. Also, find out what are the 8 questions you should ask during your first interview to decide whether or not she or he will be in charge of your case.
Do You Need a Lynn MA Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney?
You should absolutely meet with a bankruptcy or debt attorney if you are interested in filing a bankruptcy or debt case. Bankruptcy
law is complex and there are many pitfalls in Lynn MA. If you call around to find the cheapest bankruptcy attorney you might just get one. But it is much more important to get experience, competence and responsiveness in a bankruptcy attorney. Do not base your decision on fees. Most bankruptcy attorneys charge a reasonable fee. Some bankruptcy attorneys in Lynn MA charge more than others but they are usually all within range. Make sure that you hire the right attorney even if it means spending a little bit more.
Indeed, bankruptcy & debt lawyers can determine if bankruptcy is right for you, or advise you on debt relief options in Lynn MA – including debt discharge plans, debt repayment plans, and reorganization.
Not Every Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney will be Right for You in Lynn MA
You must be sure that your philosophy of how to handle your bankruptcy & debt case matches that of your Lynn MA attorneys; both of you need to be on the same page. It is important that you ask questions and gather information which reveals the attorney’s philosophy for handling cases.
Selecting the right bankruptcy & debt attorney in Lynn MA for your case will help you get through legal problems with the least amount of time, stress and money.
Research Your Lynn MA Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney
Once you have selected a bankruptcy & debt attorney to meet with, the next thing you should do is look into that attorney’s experience and background in Lynn MA. There are several ways to do this:
1. Search the Internet: Do a Google search on your attorney. Look for a legal blog, a website, news stories quoting or featuring the attorney, and other online information. Ideally, your attorney should devote almost all of his or her practice to the bankruptcy & debt matter you are willing to solve.
2. Contact the State Office of Court Administration: This office can tell you when the attorney was admitted to practice law in Lynn MA, where he or she went to school and when he or she graduated, and whether the attorney is in good standing or has a record of disciplinary actions.
3. Ask Around: You should ask your circle of friends and professional advisers (accountants, attorneys, even some of their past or existing clients, etc) what they know about the attorney, or if they know someone who does know about the attorney.
Contacting the Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney’s Office in Lynn MA and Scheduling Your Initial Consultation
Now that you have selected a bankruptcy & debt attorney to interview and have done research on him or her, the next step is to contact the attorney’s office in Lynn MA and schedule an appointment. You can learn a lot about how your attorney will behave if you retain him or her just by how he or she handles the simple but important task of scheduling a meeting with you as a potential new client.
Contact the bankruptcy & debt attorney’s office by telephone or e-mail and request an appointment. When you do this, it is important to tell the attorney’s office in Lynn MA that you would like to discuss a specific type of bankruptcy & debt case. Take careful note of how quickly your message is answered. Your inquiry should always be answered promptly. If the attorney you contacted cannot manage to reply to a potential new client who is bringing him or her a new case and therefore new fees, that fact should tell you something about how he or she will behave once he or she already has your money.
Also, pay close attention to who you deal with in setting the appointment and how you are treated. Most good bankruptcy & debt attorneys in Lynn MA rely on an assistant to schedule their appointments, and that person is very often responsible for much of the day to day communications and interactions with you once you hire your attorney. If you are not comfortable with the assistant who sets your appointment, it is a sign that the attorney may not be right for you and your bankruptcy & debt case.
Finally, you should ask about the cost of the initial consultation. Evaluate the response you get to these questions. Was the response clear and unequivocal?
Visiting the Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney’s Office in Lynn MA; What You See & Hear is What You Get
The experience of meeting your bankruptcy & debt attorney at his or her office in Lynn MA is critical to determining whether this attorney is a good fit for you and your special case. An attorney’s office is, in effect, his or her professional home. And the rules that apply to a attorney’s professional home are the same as those that apply to your own home. So, you should pay careful attention to what you see and hear in your attorney’s office in Lynn MA.
1. Visit during normal business hours. Set up your appointment during normal hours when the rest of the staff is present. Why? Because you want to meet the staff and see just how well they take care of clients in Lynn MA.
2. Is the office neat and clean? This tells you something about how organized and focused the bankruptcy & debt attorney is. If the office in Lynn MA is a mess and there are papers and files everywhere, imagine how that will affect the attorney’s ability to find your file and deal with your case at critical moments.
3. How does the attorney and his or her employees behave towards you and each other? It is important to observe how the bankruptcy & debt attorney’s staff in Lynn MA treats you and each other during your visit. What you see when you are there is likely to be their best behavior. If you are not well taken care of during your visit or you observe inappropriate behavior during your visit, you can be certain this conduct will get worse once you are a client of the firm and the attorney has your money in hand.
Interviewing your Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney in Lynn MA; 8 Questions You should Ask
Preparing for your interview with your bankruptcy & debt attorney in Lynn MA will help you make a better and more informed decision. You should organize discussion topics prior to meeting and bring with you any relevant paperwork. Your bankruptcy & debt attorney may need some of the documents you bring with you so be prepared and retain copies for your own records. If you can, you should write down dates and times of events, the names and addresses of any witnesses and any other important facts.
You should try to understand that bankruptcy & debt attorneys in Lynn MA have professional and ethical commitments to all of their other clients, so you should expect your interview to last about 30-45 minutes on average.
At some point during the meeting, you should be able to ask questions about your case. You should try and write down as many of your questions as you can before the meeting so that you make sure you remember to ask them.
The 8 questions you should ask in the interview with your bankruptcy attorney in Lynn MA:
1. How much experience do you have with bankruptcy & debt cases like mine?
2. How much of your practice is devoted to the type of law I need help with?
3. What other types of bankruptcy & debt cases do you handle?
4. How do you communicate with clients? Do you prefer e-mail, text message or telephone?
5. How quickly do you answer calls and other communications from clients?
6. How much will your services cost me? What is your retainer fee?
7. Do you bill for normal business ‘overhead’ such as faxes, postage, and photocopies?
8. How long does an bankruptcy & debt case like mine usually take if there are no unusual developments?
Deciding which Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney in Lynn MA is Right for You
While you are interviewing a bankruptcy & debt attorney in Lynn MA, you should listen carefully to the answers provided. You should also pay extremely close attention to your attorney’s personality, his or her manners and behavior, and how you feel during the interview.
How does the attorney in Lynn MA make you feel? Comfortable? At ease? Are you treated as an equal and with respect? Or do you feel like the bankruptcy & debt attorney has a superior attitude and talks down to you? Has the attorney spent meaningful time with you and provided answers to your questions and concerns in a friendly and appropriate manner?
How you feel about your bankruptcy & debt attorney in Lynn MA and how he or she behaves towards you will have an affect on your ability to trust and communicate effectively with that person over emotional and highly personal matters. Once the interview is over and you have time to reflect, assess the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate. Did the bankruptcy & debt attorney listen to you? Did the attorney provide enough information to make you feel comfortable that they know the law and procedure in Lynn MA? Did you feel confident?
Once you have gone through all of these steps, you now have the information and experiences necessary to decide which Lynn MA bankruptcy & debt attorney best suits your needs.