Warning: Undefined variable $output in /homepages/16/d400823348/htdocs/Site5LawyAttornGuide/wp-content/plugins/insert-adsense/insert-adsense.php on line 86
If you are considering an annulment, legal separation, or divorce, or whether you are a parent, child, single, married – traditionally or as a same-sex couple – a divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX can help, but not every attorney will be right for you.
Do You Need a Divorce & Family Law Attorney in Houston TX ?
If you are preparing to get a divorce, or just considering it, it is a good idea to begin by finding the right attorney in Houston TX for you. Divorce is a big step. It is an intense emotional and psychological experience, but it is also a legal process and in fact, it is a lawsuit.
You need to arm yourself with knowledge in order to make themost informed decisions. The settlement you secure is likely to impact your life for many years to come. Set out to carefully select an attorney who has the right skills, knowledge, experience and personal qualities that fit your case and your philosophy. By carefully selecting someone in Houston TX you can trust and someone who will protect your legal interests, you will be better prepared to focus on yourself and your family during this difficult time.
Indeed, a divorce attorney in Houston TX work with you on issues like community property division, debt allocation, child custody and support, alimony, and tax considerations while family law attorneys in Houston TX assist in situations like parents with juvenile issues, children seeking emancipation, singles with cohabitation and prenuptial agreements before marriage, and spouses or ex-spouses with domestic violence, paternity.
Not Every Divorce & Family Law Attorney in Houston TX will be Right for You
You must be sure that your philosophy of how to handle your divorce & family law case matches that of your attorneys in Houston TX ; both of you need to be on the same page. It is important that you ask questions and gather information which reveals the attorney’s philosophy for handling cases.
Selecting the right divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX for your case will help you get through legal problems with the least amount of time, stress and money.
Research Your Divorce & Family Law Attorney in Houston TX
Once you have selected a divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX to meet with, the next thing you should do is look into that attorney’s experience and background. There are several ways to do this:
1. Search the Internet: Do a Google search on your attorney. Look for a legal blog, a website, news stories quoting or featuring the attorney in Houston TX, and other online information. Ideally, your attorney should devote almost all of his or her practice to the divorce & family law matter you are willing to solve.
2. Contact the State Office of Court Administration: This office can tell you when the attorney was admitted to practice law in Houston TX , where he or she went to school and when he or she graduated, and whether the attorney is in good standing or has a record of disciplinary actions.
3. Ask Around: You should ask your circle of friends and professional advisers (accountants, attorneys in Houston TX , even some of their past or existing clients, etc) what they know about the attorney, or if they know someone who does know about the attorney.
Contacting the Divorce & Family Law Attorney’s Office in Houston TX and Scheduling Your Initial Consultation
Now that you have selected a divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX to interview and have done research on him or her, the next step is to contact the attorney’s office in Houston TX and schedule an appointment. You can learn a lot about how your attorney will behave if you retain him or her just by how he or she handles the simple but important task of scheduling a meeting with you as a potential new client.
Contact the divorce & family law attorney’s office in Houston TX by telephone or e-mail and request an appointment. When you do this, it is important to tell the attorney’s office that you would like to discuss a specific type of divorce & family law case. Take careful note of how quickly your message is answered. Your inquiry should always be answered promptly. If the attorney you contacted cannot manage to reply to a potential new client who is bringing him or her a new case and therefore new fees, that fact should tell you something about how he or she will behave once he or she already has your money.
Also, pay close attention to who you deal with in setting the appointment and how you are treated. Most good divorce & family law attorneys in Houston TX rely on an assistant to schedule their appointments, and that person is very often responsible for much of the day to day communications and interactions with you once you hire your attorney. If you are not comfortable with the assistant who sets your appointment, it is a sign that the attorney may not be right for you and your divorce & family law case.
Finally, you should ask about the cost of the initial consultation. Evaluate the response you get to these questions. Was the response clear and unequivocal?
Visiting the Divorce & Family Law Attorney’s Office in Houston TX; What You See & Hear is What You Get
The experience of meeting your divorce & family law attorney at his or her office in Houston TX is critical to determining whether this attorney is a good fit for you and your special case. An attorney’s office is, in effect, his or her professional home. And the rules that apply to a attorney’s professional home are the same as those that apply to your own home. So, you should pay careful attention to what you see and hear in your attorney’s office.
1. Visit during normal business hours. Set up your appointment during normal hours in Houston TX when the rest of the staff is present. Why? Because you want to meet the staff and see just how well they take care of clients.
2. Is the office in Houston TX neat and clean? This tells you something about how organized and focused the divorce & family law attorney is. If the office is a mess and there are papers and files everywhere, imagine how that will affect the attorney’s ability to find your file and deal with your case at critical moments.
3. How does the attorney and his or her employees behave towards you and each other? It is important to observe how the divorce & family law attorney’s staff treats you and each other during your visit. What you see when you are there is likely to be their best behavior. If you are not well taken care of during your visit in Houston TX or you observe inappropriate behavior during your visit, you can be certain this conduct will get worse once you are a client of the firm and the attorney has your money in hand.
Interviewing your Divorce & Family Law Attorney in Houston TX ; 8 Questions You should Ask
Preparing for your interview with your divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX will help you make a better and more informed decision. You should organize discussion topics prior to meeting and bring with you any relevant paperwork. Your divorce & family law attorney may need some of the documents you bring with you so be prepared and retain copies for your own records. If you can, you should write down dates and times of events, the names and addresses of any witnesses and any other important facts.
You should try to understand that divorce & family law attorneys in Houston TX have professional and ethical commitments to all of their other clients, so you should expect your interview to last about 30-45 minutes on average.
At some point during the meeting, you should be able to ask questions about your case. You should try and write down as many of your questions as you can before the meeting so that you make sure you remember to ask them.
The 8 questions you should ask in the interview with your divorce attorney in Houston TX :
1. How much experience do you have with divorce & family law cases like mine?
2. How much of your practice is devoted to the type of law I need help with?
3. What other types of divorce & family law cases do you handle?
4. How do you communicate with clients? Do you prefer e-mail, text message or telephone?
5. How quickly do you answer calls and other communications from clients?
6. How much will your services cost me? What is your retainer fee?
7. Do you bill for normal business ‘overhead’ such as faxes, postage, and photocopies?
8. How long does an divorce & family law case like mine usually take if there are no unusual developments?
Deciding which Divorce & Family Law Attorney in Houston TX is Right for You
While you are interviewing a divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX , you should listen carefully to the answers provided. You should also pay extremely close attention to your attorney’s personality, his or her manners and behavior, and how you feel during the interview.
How does the attorney make you feel? Comfortable? At ease? Are you treated as an equal and with respect? Or do you feel like the divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX has a superior attitude and talks down to you? Has the attorney spent meaningful time with you and provided answers to your questions and concerns in a friendly and appropriate manner?
How you feel about your divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX and how he or she behaves towards you will have an affect on your ability to trust and communicate effectively with that person over emotional and highly personal matters. Once the interview is over and you have time to reflect, assess the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate. Did the divorce & family law attorney listen to you? Did the attorney provide enough information to make you feel comfortable that they know the law and procedure? Did you feel confident?
Once you have gone through all of these steps, you now have the information and experiences necessary to decide which divorce & family law attorney in Houston TX best suits your needs.